Tags:
create new tag
, view all tags

Minutes of Dakar Release Schedule Meeting, 16 Jan 2006

Logistics and Participants

Agenda

  • Review last meeting minutes (points and action items)
  • Quick review of bug items marked as urgent and required
  • Release naming convention
  • Other items that need to happen for release
  • Discuss release date
  • Discuss parking lot items

Review items from DakarReleaseMeeting2006x01x07

Point 1: Dakar Doc Update

  • Peter has 8 docs to go; most should be straightforward, eta about one week

Point 2: Ship WYSIWYG Editor With Dakar

  • No ETA yet, holding on to beta / tech preview
  • Feels stable, many improvements since last meeting

Point 3: ClassicSkin Issues

  • All resolved except for login/logout (Bugs:Item736)
  • Design issue more than implementation issue
  • Steffen will try to place login functionality
    • DONE

Point 4: Translations

  • String freeze currently lifted, waiting for
    • documentation work to finish
    • last template updates (language dropdown)
    • last bug fixes
  • String freeze planned for Friday, 20 Jan 2006.

Point 7: Improve CSS Handling in PatternSkin

  • ModernizePatternSkin and Bugs:Item959 in work
    • DONE
  • Action item for Arthur, not showstopper
    • We need to sure there's no copyright issues with the latest bg image.
      • UPDATED: It turns out image is contributed by Arthurs wife (thanks!)
      • BTW, the header Photoshop file is in pub/TWiki/PatternSkin/TWiki_header.psd. -- AC
  • Votes 4 to 3 for using the latest image (subject to ©)
  • Doubts on whether the image is for twiki.org or for Dakar
    • Both. -- AC
  • A modern look that attracts people is important, hence urgent to get into dakar, Peter / Arthur will re-grade item to urgent.
    • DONE

Point 8: Create new DefaultSkin

  • Disagreement is whether defaultskin should be "official" / have it's own skin topic, or just live as "default templates".
  • Peter lets Crawford have it his way in favor of progress

Point 9: Item1395 - Remove MAKETEXT from NewUserTemplate

  • Intention is good, but needs a bit more of fidling.
    • UPDATED Treated as new Bugs:Item1422 - NOP{} cannot contain variables with parameters

Point 10: Item1322 - TWiki.org doc merge: TWikiHistory needs Dakar history

  • Re-opened bug, agreement from last meeting to update TWikiHistory.
  • Action item for PeterThoeny, straight forward issue.

Point 11: Item1368 - Rename HEADERART to WEBHEADERIMAGE

  • Between Arthur and wbniv, raised to urgent.
    • RESOLVED: the name WEBHEADERART
    • The background color variable is WEBHEADERBGCOLOR -- AC

Release naming convention

  • See TWikiReleaseNamingConvention
  • Far more important to name the package consistently with OSS standards than it is to have it named the same as the release topic
  • Strong leaning against Svens proposal, consensus:
    • TWiki-4.0.0-beta6.zip
    • TWikiRelease04x00x00beta6

Other items that need to happen for release

  • Strategy for plugins - Cairo-Dakar compatibility / separation
  • Release party was suggested, Peter would like to organize a release party in the Silicon Valley
    • "it would be cool if people in europe organize one, people in apac one, and people in south america one :-)"
    • UPDATED target: 01 Feb 2006 for DakarReleaseParty at WikiWednesdays (ALERT! make Dakar releasable by then)
  • Decide on plan for Bugs web, supporting various releases of code(?)

Release Schedule

  • Build
    • beta6 now
    • RC1 after next meeting, if no show-stoppers
  • We will try to settle on an intended release date at next meeting if there's a good feeling about RC1

Miscellaneous

Action Items:

  • Arthur:
    • Language dropdown: Make it a PatternSkinCustomization item (optional, does not hold up release)
    • Design final header based on feedback on ModernizePatternSkin
      • DONE
    • Improve CSS Handling in PatternSkin (see above)
      • DONE
  • Crawford:
    • Close Develop:Bugs.Item1336.
      • DONE
    • Build & upload beta6
      • DONE
  • Sven:
    • In Plugins web, ssk all plugin/addon devs to remove their bin scripts and impl a rest interface instead
  • Peter
    • Upgrade twiki.org to Dakar by year end
      • PENDING - allocating time to bugs and docs
    • Raise artwork item to urgent
      • DONE - and resolved
    • Add Dakar to TWikiHistory
  • Peter, Lynnwood
    • Update the last documentation topics
      • IN WORK - down to 8
  • Antonio
    • Announce new string freeze
      • DONE - announced for this Friday, 2006-01-20
  • Steffen:
    • Put login / logout in classic skin
      • DONE
  • Will:
    • Decide if Bugs:Item1393 is a blocker
      • yes it is, so the task is to apply/develop the patch
    • Separate 3 overlapping threads in Bugs:Item1368, try to close them. ETA: Friday.
    • rename HEADERART to WEBHEADERART
      • update docs
    • fix WIKILOGO use/abuse
  • All
    • Help find tech writer
      • PENDING
    • Attract translators
      • STATUS?
    • Think about ways to get attention of writers and coders
      • STATUS?

IRC Log

Back to: DakarRelease

Comments / Feedback

Sadly I've missed the meeting (update: for the most part) due to a last minute client meeting in Amsterdam.

-- ArthurClemens - 16 Jan 2006

I've attached the irc log for those who missed the meeting and want the raw, uncut experience. smile

Thanks to SteffenPoulsen for taking the real-time notes here. I for one found it extremely useful during the meeting! Others feel free to add corrections and clarifications.

-- LynnwoodBrown - 17 Jan 2006

Topic attachments
I Attachment History Action Size Date Who Comment
Texttxt Dakar-minutes2006x01x16.txt r1 manage 106.6 K 2006-01-17 - 02:19 LynnwoodBrown #twiki_dakar log 2006/01/16
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r17 < r16 < r15 < r14 < r13 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r17 - 2006-05-01 - SamHasler
 
  • Learn about TWiki  
  • Download TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl Hosted by OICcam.com Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback. Ask community in the support forum.
Copyright © 1999-2017 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.