Tags:
create new tag
, view all tags

Minutes of Edinburgh Release Meeting, 12 Jun 2006

Logistics, Participants, IRC log

Agenda

  • Review Previous Action Items
  • TWiki 4.0.3 release
  • Revisit rule of changing API in non-backwards-compatible way

1. Review Previous Action Items

  • 4.0.3 Release
    • Crawford: Investigate setting Vars in forms - DONE Fixed
    • Kenneth: Try registration failure without Net::SMTP installed - DONE Problem fixed
    • Will: Commit to release date

  • TWiki Doc Users
    • Focus group: Establish good old conference call. Kenneth will propose two timeslots this week. Probably round 19:00 or 20:00 CET / 17:00 or 18:00 UTC.

2. TWiki 4.0.3 Release

  • Desired outcome: Clarify remaining issue, set release date

  • Tentative date set for Jun 2006 -> First coming weekend - see actions below
  • There will be a 2 day test period of pre-release. See actions below.

3. Revisit rule of changing API in non-backwards-compatible way

  • Desire outcome: Debate rule and counter proposal; find mutual resolution

  • Background: Kenneth proposed this rule at the EdinburghReleaseMeeting2006x05x08: "If a developer changes the API in a non-backwards-compatible way he/she also has to update all the broken Plugins that have been actively developed within the last two years." This business rule was discussed and agreed on by the participants. Crawford was at the meeting, but dropped out at the important part, and just came back when the decision was made, but he was lacking the context. After the fact, this rule is not favoured by some developers, hence the need to re-visit this decision. As a response to this, Crawford added this to the PluginsApiPolicy: "Developers will make every possible effort to ensure that plugins that are written to observe the documented API will continue to work without requiring code changes or, if such code changes are unavoidable due to shifting architectural constraints, will support plugins authors in making the necessary changes to the extent of providing code porting support."

Proposal was pulled back and all voted and agreed that no additional rule is needed from what we already have.

Action Items

  • TWiki Doc Users Focus group: Establish good old conference call. Kenneth will propose two timeslots this week. Probably round 19:00 or 20:00 CET / 17:00 or 18:00 UTC.

TWiki 4.0.3

  • Kenneth Lavrsen makes a Release Candidate.
  • We kindly ask Sven to step in a do the real build of 4.0.3 this comingI weekend.
  • Kenneth will update TWiki.org when release is ready.

IRC Log

Back to: EdinburghRelease

Comments / Feedback

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2006-06-12 - KennethLavrsen
 
  • Learn about TWiki  
  • Download TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl Hosted by OICcam.com Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback. Ask community in the support forum.
Copyright © 1999-2017 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.