Tags:
create new tag
, view all tags

Minutes of Georgetown Release Meeting, 2008-04-28

TOC and Agenda

Logistics, Participants, IRC log

1. Review Urgent Bugs with 4.2.1 scope

To limit the time we spend on this, please review the urgent bugs and if you are willing to try to resolve a bug put the item in "Being worked on" and put your name in the "Waiting for" field.

We did not walk through the bugs since the list is mainly the same as last time and noone seems to be willing to support the current release anymore.

Again the main contributors did not show up at the release meeting frown

2. Feature requests for Georgetown Release

  • ProcessAddToHeadAdds - Arthur (proposer suggested to continue discussion on Codev)
  • TWikiFormInheritance - Koen will try and rewrite the proposal so it becomes clear. Peter, Arthur and Kenneth simply do not understand the syntax

3. Proposal for new core team

  • Kenneth reminded Peter that this action item has been open for quite a while and that motivation may be related to lack of progress on this item
  • Peter will make a proposal soon (no date given)

Kenneth's personal comment. This action item has been delayed by misc "ultimatums". Some goodwill has since been displayed and it is about time we get this important subject raised - discussed - and settled. Otherwise it will still hang at the Q3 Summit and then the Summit will become much less constructive. Let us get this discussion over with as soon as possible so we can get momentum up again.

Action Items

Back to: GeorgetownRelease

Comments / Feedback

I cannot understand why there is so little interest in participating in the release meetings. People want more governance and decisions, but when it comes to our most important democratic institution - the biweekly release meeting - regular TWiki contributors that used to participate do not show up leaving decisions to in practical 4-5 people. In practical it means that little decisions get taken at all and that feature proposals are not being decided on.

And then there is 4.2.1. Shall we have separate bug fixing meetings instead? The past 2 months I see plenty of spent hours on plugins and discussing major refactorings on Codev. But the list of urgent bugs grows and very little gets closed leaving our users with a very buggy 4.2.0 release.

As a release manager I am getting a bit frustrated about the situation.

-- KennethLavrsen - 28 Apr 2008

Hmm, I understand your frustration Kenneth. Let me try to explain why I didn't participated in the release meetings for quite a while now:

It is mostly about bugs and when discussing these bugs I do not unterstand what you are talking about. It's just to techy. Most of the release meetings I attented had the following pattern: You discussed bugs I hardly unterstood and proposed/discussed solutions where I had completely no idea what you are talking about. This made up the biggest part of every release meeting I attended. Thats boring. The next thing was the flame war between WikiRing members and TWikiDotNet. As a result of these two things I felt that there are better things to do on a monday evening, e.g. sleeping.

Maybe it makes sense to have bug meetings and meetings where governance issues and proposals are discussed. On the other hand that would mean more meetings. But as long as 3/4 of the time is spend discussing bugs there's not much value in these meetings. At least for me...

-- CarloSchulz - 29 Apr 2008

From where I'm sitting I see a fair amount of activity on bug fixing; Sven especially has fixed a lot of bugs recently. I'm sure you have noticed my own activity in contributing fixes to the standard plugins, especially the UTF-8 support for WYSIWYG which was a significant effort. Yes, there is less overall activity from the "old guard", but I'd like to see that as a cup-half-full positive. The door is now more open than ever to new contributors.

IMHO the best way to stay on top of bugs is to cut loose from the release meetings and focus on process in the Bugs web, where many people can contribute when they can, without being bound to a time.

-- CrawfordCurrie - 29 Apr 2008

Reading the release minutes and the irc log, I personally think there has always been a surprisingly large turnout to the meetings. Most OSS developers have no interest in talking about talking, and generally will work on the things they decide to work on.

Creating situations that suggest others can 'demand' that they work on something only lowers the likelyhood of participation - and release meetings are too much like the employee work situation to be high on the personal agenda for people's spare time.

I always enjoyed the meetings that were sheduled to enable me to attend, but I actually enjoy spending the equivalent 2 hours working on something I need more.

-- SvenDowideit - 29 Apr 2008

It does not help to use the "customers argument" against others. That's a bit unfair, isn't it. And where does that lead to?

-- MichaelDaum - 29 Apr 2008

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r10 < r9 < r8 < r7 < r6 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r10 - 2008-04-29 - MichaelDaum
 
  • Learn about TWiki  
  • Download TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl Hosted by OICcam.com Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback. Ask community in the support forum.
Copyright © 1999-2017 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.