Tags:
create new tag
, view all tags

Minutes of Georgetown Release Meeting, 2008-08-18

TOC and Agenda

Logistics, Participants, IRC log

1. Feature requests for Georgetown Release

  • ModPerlStartupScript - is this finally confirmed to be working? if so I see no problem adding this to 4.2.3.
    • Decision is to ship this with 4.2.3. Developers to review script one last time. Kenneth to produce some docu with it. Script goes into the tools directory on the installation.
    • CDot will consider a configure solution instead of having to hack the file.
    • At the same time Kenneth raised the issue that LocalLib.cfg needs hacking. Kenneth creates RemoveLocalLibCfg to discuss

  • DatabaseStore - A huge topic - Kenneth suggests that we plan how we can discuss this at the September summit including Sven on a phone line. We may also need to start some Codev topic to exchange ideas as preparation and allow crazy ideas to surface in this process.
    • On the other hand, Crawford doesn't think this is a huge topic at all. All the infrastructure is in place to build a DB store now. There are some refactorings that would make it easier, but none of them should be show-stoppers. What is really required is (a) motivated developer(s). I would far rather discuss the technical detail in a forum such as Codev where it won't burn valuable face time. The summit, if it discusses it at all, should discuss whether there is a user requirement for such a beast.
    • SvenDowideit says: its a beleif thing. DatabaseStore in TWiki 5.0 is going to have zero impact on TWiki5.0 from a user perspective (other than possible speed changes). As Crawford says, he and I have already done most of the refactorings to the core, so most of the work will be in already Pluggable interfaces such as SearchAlgol, Store, and Meta. In comparison, the formatting and ResultSet features have much more to discuss.
    • Kenneth Lavrsen says: It does not help that Sven and Crawford has some non-published plan for all this. Database storage is a beast we do not agree on what is in the first place. For me it has nothing to do with moving content from .txt files to a database because that in itself suits no purpose and probably slows down parts of TWiki. I believe the storage model needs to be well designed and planned and if done right can speed up TWiki by a factor 10-100 for complex searches in large TWikis with millions of topics and 10000s of users. I do not want to see a repeat of the user mapping implementation. This time we document and plan things so more people can share the load and the knowledge and help each other out. I agree we should discuss things in Codev and only use the Summit for specifics. This is why I want to kick off the Codev work in todays release meeting. And then use the Summit to discuss some of the design ideas.
    • Decision: Kenneth to create a DatabaseStoreTopics page and to initiate some Codev discussions about the topic.

2. Other business

  • TWiki.org x86 server has been received and racked. Working on OS install and NAS firmware update. New t.o will run 4.2.2

  • How to fund twiki.org developer. Virtual box for donations
    • Topics: CodersForHireTalk, TWikiFoundation#Funding, AllowDevelopersToCollectDonations
    • The foundation idea was discussed. Original foundation proposal was to let a foundation own TWiki incl its brand, its domain and being the entity that steers funding. A new idea of a foundation created by an individual with the single purpose to collect funding and distribute to contributors of TWiki was put forward. Kenneth encouraged Martin Seibert to go ahead and create such an independent foundation registered in Germany. Martin will still like not to have Peter Thoeny against such a thing and will ask by email.

Back to: GeorgetownRelease

Comments / Feedback

Topic attachments
I Attachment History Action Size Date Who Comment
Texttxt GeorgetownMinutes2008x08x18.txt r1 manage 45.5 K 2008-08-18 - 21:14 KennethLavrsen Complete log of the meeting
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r15 < r14 < r13 < r12 < r11 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r15 - 2008-08-20 - MartinSeibert
 
  • Learn about TWiki  
  • Download TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl Hosted by OICcam.com Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback. Ask community in the support forum.
Copyright © 1999-2017 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.