Knoppix is neat. We (I?) now use it at LVLUG meeting to boot existing computers into Linux -- we were using Slackware Live, Knoppix seems better and easier to boot.
My primary interest in Knoppix is (was) as an installer for Debian -- see Debian for some additional resources.
. Feel free to add additional resources to these lists, but please follow the guidelines on ResourceRecommendations
Knoppix has a wiki (PHP Wiki) with many useful pages, generally for documentation and FAQs. Here are some that interested me:
- Knoppix Hard Disk Installation HOWTO; David McNab; viewed 17 Mar 2003 -- although it mentions there is a section of knx-hdinstall for setting up the network, it doesn't specifically say that you can specify an IP address (I hate trial and error) -- I did try reading knx-hdinstall one day (IIRC, or was that a Vector script -- think I read both) but I didn't get much out of it -- may try again.
- Knoppix FAQ
- Cheat Codes — note that the boot prompt is near the bottom of the first splash screen in gray — the normal brightness and contrast settings I use on my monitors made the prompt invisible
- Faq Network — has my question and (tentative) answer on using Knoppix with a static IP
- Hd Based HowTo — putting the CD image on the hard drive for faster booting / freeing up the CD — possibly also see Faq Hd Based
- Knoppix Hard Disk Installation HOWTO — see also Faq Install
- Persistent Home HowTo — this feature will be built into Knoppix 3.2, so I may want to get a copy of that — I think it (or an alpha or beta) is available at this time
- Home Partition HowTo —
- many others, including how to remaster Knoppix, and more to come (I'm sure) because it's a wiki
- () RandyKramer - 18 Mar 2003
- <If you edit this page: add your name here; move this to the next line; and include your comment marker (initials), if you have created one, in parenthesis before your WikiName.>