Inform users that a TWiki site has moved to a new location
Sometimes a TWiki site is migrated to a new location with a new URL. For convenience users visiting the old site should find the new site. When this skin is installed and enabled at the old TWiki site, users will see a yellow moved message box instead of page content. A configurable
is set to inform users of the new location.
For scheduled downtime & temporary maintenance it is better to use the read-only skin mode of the TopMenuSkin
instead of this MovedSkin. For this, define a
setting and a
Set READONLYSKINMODE = 1
setting in Main.TWikiPreferences
You do not need to install anything in the browser to use this skin. The following instructions are for the administrator who installs the skin on the TWiki server.
- For an automated installation, run the configure script, follow "Find More Extensions" in the in the Extensions section, and look for the MovedSkin.
- Or, follow these manual installation steps:
- Download the ZIP file from the Plugins home (see below).
MovedSkin.zip in your twiki installation directory. Content:
| File: || Description: |
| Skin topic |
| Screenshots |
| Skin template file |
| Skin Perl module |
- Set the ownership of the extracted directories and files to the webserver user.
Enabling Moved Message
1. Define a MOVEDMESSAGE setting in Main.TWikiPreferences
so that the moved message takes effect site-wide. Example:
* Set MOVEDMESSAGE = __NOTE:__ The %WIKITOOLNAME% site has been moved to a new location. The page you are trying to access is now at: %BR%%BR% http://twiki.example.com/do/view/%WEB%/%TOPIC%. %BR% Please update your bookmarks. %BR%%BR% Questions? Ask %WIKIWEBMASTER%
makes sure that the user ends up the new location of the current page.
If you want the page to redirect automatically to the new site you can add a meta tag to the MOVEDMESSAGE setting. This example redirects after 5 seconds:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5;url=http://twiki.example.com/do/view/%WEB%/%TOPIC%" />
2. Test the yellow moved message box: http://www.twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Plugins/MovedSkin?skin=moved
3. Active the skin site-wide by changing the SKIN setting in Main.TWikiPreferences
* Set SKIN = moved
has details on skin activation.
Related topic: TWikiSkins