Tags:
edinburgh1Add my vote for this tag create new tag
, view all tags

Minutes of Edinburgh Release Meeting, 06 Feb 2006

Logistics, Participants, IRC log

Agenda

Quick Review of Dakar Release Meeting 2006-01-30

TWiki 4.0.1 release

  • Desired outcome: Remaining tasks and release timing of TWikiRelease04x00x01
  • Two major fixes, warrents a dot release
  • Lavr has issue on BlackListPlugin, Bugs:Item1586
    • Confirmation is new in Dakar, BlackListPlugin needs to be aware
    • Magic number only for registration, not for confirmation
    • Secret field should be added to registration form, does not hurt
      • Action item for Steffen, for release 4.0.1
  • Steffen deprecated [[http://xml.org XML]]-syntax, needs to be inserted again
    • DONE
  • Looking over the agenda, I'd like to add one item: offering patched files for fixes.
    • Proposal by Sven, 3 packages for 4.0.1
      • a real patch
      • a set of updated files to copy over an existing install
      • a full packages
  • Discussion on automation / urgency priorities
  • What goes into 4.0.1 needs to be listed as "known items" to 4.0.0
    • Action item for Steffen, cut & paste from bugs web
  • Won't have time to test mod_perl issues further, but an update to docs in TWiki.InstallingTWiki and TWiki.UpgradingTWiki would be good
    • Lavr will doc his setup (mod_perl / apache 2)
      • Pending resolving the open mod_perl issues. TWiki 4.0.1 does not work satisfactory with mod_perl. Users continuously run into issues when saving a topic ( Bugs:Item1576 ) and the login/logout issue ( Bugs:Item 1575 ) is also a problem that needs to be resolved. Making a doc that says how to run with mod_perl is more misleading than anything else. I have tried to get more debug info for a week but I cannot get to the bottom of this. The randomness in the failure makes it even more difficult for me. I have given up mod_perl for now. -- KennethLavrsen - 12 Feb 2006

Release focus of Edinburgh Release

  • Desired outcome: Agree on process and timeline to decide on EdinburghRelease focus
  • Brainstorm on EdinburghRelease#Release_Focus ASAP, try to get some discussion going for next week, or next-next week
  • Consider focusing on 4.1 and 4.2 more than 5.0
  • OSS projects roadmaps are mainly driven by who want to work on something and not what money can we get from it
  • "A guideline for developers" - not too stone ish - more or less just an organized and prioritized enhancement request list
  • A great roadmap can help attract developers, short term / long term
  • We could propell twiki way more if we tune the marketing message
  • "To succeed" means "providing something valuable"
  • It is important that a product knows its segment and what is wants to focus on - so that there is a difference between TWiki and the other Wikis. A good difference.
  • Suggestion for 4.1 roadmap: mod_perl
  • Suggestion for 4.1 roadmap: Incremental speed improvements and better WYSIWYG. And 5.0 redesign topic storage to something indexed that than scale much better then today where Twiki clearly has an "upper limit" defined by speed of searches.
  • Two different scopes. 1. Which features when. That is roadmap. 2. HOW. That is deciding on development model, branching, documentation model.
  • We each probably have personal roadmaps. Making them explicit and looking for commonalities might facilitate discussion.
  • Personal roadmaps are good to know where the interests are, but they distract from focus unless coordinated
  • Cairo roadmap can be inspected CairoRelease.

  • General agreement on discussing and adding to roadmaps the next couple of meetings, and try to have something settled for Feb 20.

Split DEVELOP branch

  • Desired outcome: Review OneSvnBranchPerRelease and address open questions
  • Rather technical discussion, for details see IRC log
  • Only part consensus reached

Fix Dakar documentation model

  • Desired outcome: Review DakarDocumentationModelIsBroken and brainstorm on solution
  • Rather technical discussion again, visit IRC log
  • Only part consensus reached, proceeding in Codev
  • Give the people the tools they need; but editing through TWiki is must have

Miscellaneous

Action Items

  • Sven
    • Update COVER item with new findings
      • DONE
  • Peter
    • BlackListPlugin update (allow for confirmations)
      • DONE
  • Steffen
    • Add secret field to registration form
      • DONE
    • Re-instate [[http://xml.org XML]]-syntax
      • DONE
    • Cut&paste to create known issues from items in bugs web
      • DONE (see above)
  • Lavr
    • Documentation updated for mod_perl

IRC Log

Back to: EdinburghRelease

Comments / Feedback

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r8 < r7 < r6 < r5 < r4 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r8 - 2006-02-12 - PeterThoeny
 
  • Learn about TWiki  
  • Download TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl Hosted by OICcam.com Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback. Ask community in the support forum.
Copyright © 1999-2017 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.