Tags:
create new tag
, view all tags

Minutes of Freetown Release Meeting, 2007-04-09

TOC and Agenda

Logistics, Participants, IRC log

1. Action Item Review

  • Peter: Create a TWikiBetaTesting topic in Codev, with info for beta testers. Need to recruit beta testers
    • Need to do this before next release. Need to recruit beta testers.
  • Kenneth: Looking to add at least two more people - preferable non-developers to share the role as customers advocate
    • DONE Need to define the role better.
    • Email has been sent to ML asking for candidates to come forward.
  • Arthur/Kenneth/Peter: Need to update the TWiki application so the process becomes less manual

2. Is next release a 4.2 or 5.0

The proposals in TWikiFeature04x02 started being small features and people talked about a 4.2. But lately proposals are coming forward that are much more far reaching and visionary. KennethLavrsen recommends that we do not plan a 4.2 but instead plan for a 5.0 release one year from last 4.1 release. Ie. February 2008 and decide for a few release themes.

  • PROPOSAL 1: Make TWiki faster and more scalable though the following initiatives
    • A more efficient storage model which makes searching among millions of topics possible. Use of databases and indexed caching are possible implementations. See proposals DatabaseStore and TWikiCache.
    • A more efficient user mapping model that enables 100000 users on the same TWiki. See proposal RefactorUsersCode
    • Syncing between several TWiki servers.
    • Searching across several TWiki servers (that are not synced with same data)

  • PROPOSAL 2: Wysiwyg that works.
    • Get a simple but safely working Wysiwyg that never destroys anything in complex TWiki topics. It is OK that you cannot do everything in this editor and we should consider not enabling writing HTML in this editor to simplify things.

DECISION. A few features sponsered by customers are urgent for a 4.2 release. Sven and Crawford will draft a realistic release schedule for a 4.2 for next release meeting.

3. Review Proposed Features

  • SearchResultsPagination has been accepted. But who will write the spec and drive the implementation?
    • Arthur takes the lead and writes the spec
    • Sven then takes over and implements the code
  • EditTemplateWithDiscussion - simple feature. Lets us vote. If you cannot make the meeting cast your vote on EditTemplateWithDiscussion.
    • Proposal rejected 5 votes against - 0 for. The meeting agreed that writing a doc about how to define such a default edit template would be a good thing. Noone took the action (yet)
  • DeprecateTWikiFuncGetOopsUrl - The only decision to make is if getOopsUrl should be deprecated or not. If you cannot make the meeting cast your vote on DeprecateTWikiFuncGetOopsUrl
    • Proposal is accepted. 5 votes for a and 1 against. Note that deprecation is a label on the function only. Actual removal requires a new decision and will not happen until at least 1-2 years from now.
  • ExpandStandardEscapes - has already been implemented. Only concern raised is the name. Let us briefly discuss the name and agree on the feature.
    • Proposal accepted by all. A vote for naming gave a majority for decodeFormatTokens.

Since last meeting the following proposal have been accepted by the 14 day rule.

Kenneth has put the following in parked because there is no obvious owner committed to drive the implementation. If a driver comes forward it comes into play again. Note that proposals without a committed driver do not get auto accepted after 14 days per our process.

The following proposals needs to be discussed more - typically the feature is agreed but the spec is missing. They are listed here to make them visible.

Action Items

  • Peter: Create a TWikiBetaTesting topic in Codev, with info for beta testers. Need to recruit beta testers
    • Need to do this before next release. Need to recruit beta testers.
  • Kenneth: Looking to add at least two more people - preferable non-developers to share the role as customers advocate
    • DONE Need to define the role better.
    • Email has been sent to ML asking for candidates to come forward.
  • Arthur/Kenneth/Peter: Need to update the TWiki application so the process becomes less manual
  • Crawford/Sven - A few features sponsered by customers are urgent for a 4.2 release. Sven and Crawford will draft a realistic release schedule for a 4.2 for next release meeting.

IRC Log

Back to: FreetownRelease

Comments / Feedback

Topic attachments
I Attachment History Action Size Date Who Comment
Texttxt FreetownMinutes2007x04x09.txt r1 manage 53.8 K 2007-04-10 - 01:34 PeterThoeny Freetown Meeting Log 2007-04-09
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r4 < r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | Raw edit | More topic actions
Topic revision: r4 - 2007-04-10 - PeterThoeny
 
  • Learn about TWiki  
  • Download TWiki
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl Hosted by OICcam.com Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback. Ask community in the support forum.
Copyright © 1999-2017 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.