I welcome your comments on GrantBowDiscuss.
- Name: Grant Bowman
- Company Name: GrantBow Consulting
- Company URL: http://www.grantbow.com
- Country: USA
- Hear From: Promoted TWiki as an Intranet solution within SuSE.com
- Comment: TWiki site links on this page are generally to Codev web unless otherwise noted
author) and I are the proud parents of the HurdWiki:Main/HurdGnuFansOrg
site. Here is the Hurd Wiki's "Success" story
for our non-TWikiMission
I was introduced to TWiki when I used one set up for us on the the Intranet at SuSE.com
, one of the strongest GNU/Linux distributions in the world and now a United Linux
partner. As the IT manager I was trying to train some folks to use Unix (who didn't know Unix very well) to edit the phone list page. As the company grew quickly while I was there this was an important page internally. When we moved it to TWiki it was a much simpler operation for everyone involved.
I am passionate about the effective use of collaborative software tools. I maintain a Collaborative Open Source Software
web page. I am also the dmoz.org
editor for the Computers:Software:Groupware:Open
category. I can say with confidence that TWiki is the most useful and flexible software that I have seen.
I feel extremely grateful for knowning and having worked with pioneers in collaborative computer use. My interactions with Howard Rheingold
and his BrainStorms
community (tell Howard I sent you when you email him, also see CaucusVsTWiki
) has and continues to enrich my life. Howard has been practicing on-line "community" since the early days at the Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link (WELL
). My work with Dr. Douglas C. Engelbart
over the past few years has opened my eyes to just how primitive even our most advanced tools are when compared with the visions of the late 1960's that have preceded the evolution of all modern information processing. Jeff Conklin
has helped be to understand the critical area of "WickedProblems
" when I attended one of his workshops. I stand in awe at how far we have come and yet how far we still have yet to go in developing truly effective collaborative information systems.
- Document Related
- TWiki.FormattedSearch, TWiki.TWikiVariables, TWiki.TWikiShorthand (TextFormattingRules almost identical), TWiki.TWikiForms, TWiki.TWikiDocsStyleGuide, WikiEditor, EditDaemonWithGVimIntegration, VimEditor, Sandbox.NewContents_unfinished, Support.RdiffUrls
- all links in this paragraph are to the Plugins web unless otherwise noted. Development - Codev.RenderPipeline RestructurePluginsDevelopment, PluginsInCVS, Codev.MorePluginHooks Features - SpacedWikiWordPlugin, SmiliesPlugin, CommentPlugin, InterwikiPlugin, FindElsewherePlugin, SpellCheckAddOn, RecursiveRenderPlugin, SlideShowPlugin, PollPlugin, PeerPlugin (Codev.PeerRatingSystem), TouchGraphAddOn, PurplePluginDev, WebServicesAddOn, TreePlugin, CacheAddOn, Sessions - UserCookiePlugin, SessionPlugin
Sandbox: Sandbox.GrantBowTest for me.
- TWikiAdvocacy, HowToGetInternalBuyInForTWiki, UsabilityIdeas, Main.TWikiPlatformPresentation, Main.TWikiPresentations, Plugins.SlideShowPlugin, TWikiDeployment, Sandbox.TWikiCourseOutlineExample2, http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?TipsForSiteOperators Some links about the people driving TWiki like CoreTeam, TWikiUserGroup, TWikiUserGroupsInUS, WikiReferences (interesting articles). TWiki.TWikiAdminCookBook and TWiki.InstantEnhancements both have absolutely great ideas. Skin_ideas_from_Peter_Masiar
- RestructureCodevWorkFlow, ProductionReleaseChecklist, PatchGuidelines has requirements for helping out the core team with code. VariableVARS_request, TWikiDebugging, TWikiTemplatingSystem, GatewayTopic, SimplifyInternalMetaDataHandling, PluginApiForTopicHandling, Plugins.PluginCvsToolsAddOn, Plugins.PluginPackagingHowTo, MoveAllPluginsToCvs, StepByStepRenderingOrder
- TWikiTrackingTalk, BugTrackingInTWiki, TWikiForge
- TWiki Gallery
- lists of TWiki sites - Main.TWikiInstallation, Codev.TWikiOnWebHostingSites, Main.TWikiSuccessStories, Main.TWikiStories, Main.OlderTWikiInstallationList Other sites running TWiki in no particular order (loads of great ideas) - visiblearea.com - the best skin I've ever seen, decafbad.com thwackety.com nevadamissouri.net nebuladevice.sf.net Main.LufWiki Danish_apartments Java_IDE] OSA_Foundation foxkid-net twiki coming soon edusmart.sf.net-missing Cleaver.org
- TWiki Stories
- TicketWiki, Main.TWikiAnnouncements, TWikiVsOtherProducts, bscol.com, decafbad.com, linux.com-article, Clarify-Engine
- Ward Cunningham
Personal TODO & Interests List
Here is a listing of topics I've contributed to at some point. GrantBowAllChanges is similar but lists all changes to the webs. The topics are listed by the pages' last update time. This list is extremely useful for tracking topics I probably want to contribute to again.
All dates are UTC, so during daylight time that's a seven hour time difference for me in California.
Personal Preferences (details in TWikiVariables)
- Increased User Centered Focus
- The culture of highly textual information overload that TWiki carries with it is frightening to beginning users. It unduly increases the learning curve for those interested in the TWiki development effort. The community badly needs some input from real UI designers. This input needs to be matched up with some skilled TWikiSkins developers. I bet it wouldn't take long to get done with the right people. Documentation must be updated as you go, not an afterthought.
- Stellar technology is not enough. Wiki perception must be repositioned. You can't redefine people's existing associations for key terms or force strange spelling on users. Terms must be clearly defined and consistently used. "Open Source" expectations must be fulfilled.
- Stronger Community
- Not all current CoreTeam members are active. I don't know if any face to face meetings have ever taken place. The social side of the community needs to be maintained to understand new input in a consistent way, to share the workload of managing the various tasks and to encourage new developers to help out as best they can. You must walk your talk, especially trying to promote a collaboration tool. QA and feedback cycles can also be improved.
- Eat Your Own Dogfood
- The http://twiki.org site needs to set an example in many different ways. We need to demonstratate through our own actions the right way implement the technology and build a social structure for evolving the TWiki code base itself.
- Plugins written on a Perl code base allow many kinds of translations, filters, lenses, transcoders, intermediaries, etc. Like GNU coreutils (try
info coreutils on any *nix system),
awk before, Perl is not only a full programming language but is designed for stream processing.
- Horizontal size of text edit box:
- Vertical size of text edit box:
- Style of text edit box.
width: 99% for full window width (default),
width: auto to disable.
- Set EDITBOXSTYLE = width: 99%
- Optionally write protect your home page: (set it to your WikiName)